History of the Thompson Congregational Church
On January 28, 1730, the Congregational Church of Thompson was organized with 28 residents signing the covenant of the Ecclesiastical Society. Previous to this a house of worship had been built near the center of the Common. During the 26 year pastorate of the first minister, Rev. Marston Cabot, more than 300 members were added to the church.
In 1769 the church was enlarged and in 1798 it was repaired and provided with a steeple and bell.
The great gale of 1815 damaged this old meeting house so badly that it was decided to build a new church.
The second Meeting House was built in 1817 also on the common, but somewhat north west of the first building. It provided no accomodations for Sabbath School or Conference meeting.
Pipe Organ Gift to the Church
The present church ediface was built in 1856 with much of the cost being shared by Mr. William Mason.
This third building was erected across the road from the Common right on the corner of the crossroads. In 1901 it was extensively remodeled and a very fine pipe organ was presented to the church by the Doane family.
Hurricane of 1938
Again in 1938, a hurricane once more caused considerable damage to the church. The steeple was ripped completely off and the roof badly damaged. The bell which was the same
one that hung in the first old meeting house was not damaged. It was decided not to rebuild the steeple at that time so the bell was hoisted into the loft of the church. There it remained until 1963 when another steeple, an exact replica of the first, was added to the building.
In 1964 a Christian Education Building was added containing 12 Sunday School rooms, a chapel, minister's study and conference rooms.
In 1947 the members of the church voted to dissolve the old Ecclesiastical Society which had been established in 1728; two years before the organization of the church. It now became necessary to reorganize so the church was incorporated and new By-laws adopted.
About this same time the members of the Central Baptist church, whose church home was destroyed by fire in 1917 were invited to become associate members of the Congregational Church. The invitation was also extended to members of the Brandy Hill Baptist Church (the first Baptist Church in Thompson), as there were no regular services held at that church. The members all work together in harmony and love for the Lord.
Photo: Brandy Hill Baptist Church
||David R. Ladre
|John A. Hanna
||Roger E. Buchanan
|Aaron C. Adams
||Frederick W. Lyon
||Herbert E. Pickett, Jr.
|George H. Cummings
||Randall P. Ferrara
|Newton J. Jones
||Jeffrey W. Larsen
||Charles J.T. Svendsen
|John H. Moore
||Maurice R. Landry
|William B. Chase
||Betsy P. Skinner (Interim Pastor)
|Stephen T. Livingston
||Marie LaMarre Ford
|Everett S. Lyon
||Terry Ann Fitzgerald (Interim Pastor)
|Lawrence R. Howard
||Robert E. Duebber
|Leonard H. Pillsbury
||Kurt F. Herber (Interim Pastor)
|Orlo E. Barnard
||Stanley W. Possell (Transitional Pastor)
||Jennifer S. Cook
The gaps in the dates represent periods when we did not have a settled minister and were served by interim ministers. In earlier times, pulpit vacancies were usually of much shorter duration than they are now, and a new settled minister was called usually within a few months.
Reprinted from "Contributions to the Ecclesiastical History of Connecticut, Vol. II, 1967